RE: Infecting the KaZaA network? (moving here thread from 'traq)

From: Benjamin P. Grubin (bgrubinat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 21:28:29 PST

    Understood.  Vlad already mostly validated my point.  It was that the
    MD5 checksum for the Kazaa client is not downloaded from the network.
    The MD5 checksum would have to be present in the stub download from
    Kazaa/CNET themselves.  This precludes MITM attack for the initial
    client download (though not necessarily later software downloads, but
    those are a lot harder to predict and target).

    The only situation where an MITM is possible during the Kazaa client
    installation is between you and CNET, by feeding you a bogus Kazaa stub,
    in which case you've got the fruit of a poison tree problem.  Hence my
    statement that it is not a Kazaa vulnerability, but a generic
    downloading of executables issue--and one that cannot be solved by
    focusing on Kazaa.

    Cheers,
    Ben