Update: The Cleaner reports WinPCap contains WinRAT trojan

From: dumbwabbit (dumbwabbitat_private)
Date: Sat Feb 16 2002 - 11:58:59 PST

    Apologies to all for what looks like to be a false
    alert... here are the results of my further
    investigation:

    Although I have not heard back from MooSoft directly,
    they issued a new sig update for The Cleaner today. It
    shows "WinRAT - updated" as one of the new updates,
    and scans of all previously mentioned versions of
    WinPCap now do NOT show up as trojanized when scanned
    using the new sig update.

    Furthermore, I have conducted some testing, comparing
    MD5 checksums from versions of WinPCap from different
    file archives at my disposal, no difference.

    The WinPCap versions in question have also been
    scanned by others with Trend, Panda, F-Prot, all
    report all WinPCap versions as being clean.

    Leaving a "relatively" open pen testing system with
    WinPCap installed up, running, and exposed to the
    Internet for 2 days has yielded no suspicious TCP/IP
    traffic on the box (other than the standard incoming
    port scans, heh), no *questionable* ports opened, no
    changes to system files (box being monitored with
    GFI's LAN FileCheck). Reports from HandleEx, fport,
    RegMon, TDIMon, NetMon all look good.

    Furthermore, I used Ethereal to capture a full day's
    IP traffic to the exposed box... after analyzing this
    dump, I find no evidence of trojan activity (altho
    keep in mind that this is only one day's worth).
    Additionally, monitoring the exposed box with DeMarc
    shows no apparent trojan-type activity.

    I also performed several installations of WinPCap on
    different boxes using InControl5 (program installation
    monitor, freeware from PC Magazine), no suspicious
    registry entries or files created (other than the
    packet driver).

    As some here have pointed out, it was probably a false
    positive. Now I would say with 99.9% certainty that it
    was indeed a false positive. I apologize for
    cross-posting the issue, but as I said, I just wanted
    to make sure... as I know that many people do use
    WinPCap...

    Come to think of it, I now remember a colleague
    telling me several weeks ago that McAfee VirusScan
    with DAT 4183 (I think, might have been 4184) claims
    that NMapNT itself was a "generic" trojan...

    http://netgroup-serv.polito.it/winpcap/install/default.htm