Disorganization campaign

From: Matt Conover (shokat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 23:34:41 PST

    It appears that there is an intentional effort to give out false and
    misleading information to confuse people. Consider that in the last two
    weeks alone, there has been a fake snmp exploit from zen (which he says he
    didn't send), a fake (or really old) w00w00 exploit, fake TESO cowboy
    exploit, and several different rumors of vulnerabilities in apache and
    php. It's hard to know what's accurate and what isn't. In some cases
    (i.e., the fake zen snmp exploit), it is actually cause harm to the person
    running the exploit. I think that was the point. It would appear the
    intention is to confuse hackers and script kiddies so that they cannot
    tell the difference between what is and isn't real. This will obviously
    slow efforts in harvesting new exploits, because a hacker or script kiddie
    would have to sort through which new exploits are and aren't real. I find
    this part of the campaign to be somewhat honorable. However, I think
    another part of the campaign is to make the sources of security
    information (i.e., BugTraq and Vuln-Dev) untrustable, and that I disagree
    with. Security advisories have their purposes. They help legitimate users
    and administrators. I suppose it is a trade off between confusing those
    that you don't want getting accurate information and those you do.

    I think the likely instigators are the anti.security.is people with too
    much time on their hands. So, until they get jobs or girlfriends, I would
    take the posting here with a grain of salt. I would avoid running any
    exploits posted to this list and distrust any alleged vulnerabilities
    without verification from the vendor. If you really wanted to be
    altruistic, don't throw flames on the fire--stop distributing exploits
    you haven't verified.