Re: SSH2 Exploit?

From: Teodor Cimpoesu (teoat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 03:08:08 PST

    Hi John!
    On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, John Compton wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I recently had a break-in on a redhat linux system.  The attacker installed
    > what appears to be torn kit, but there was one thing which caught my
    > attention. I found a binary named "sshex" on the compromised system.  I
    > guess this is the exploit used to break in cause most of the servers here
    > are kept up-to-date.  The system was being used to actively scan for ssh
    > servers.
    >
    > [root@testbox ]# ./sshex
    >
    > 7350ylonen - x86 ssh2 <= 3.1.0 exploit
    > dream team teso
    > usage: 7350ylonen [-hd] <-p port> <-t target> <-d packet_delay> host
    >
    > RH 7.x - SSH-2.0-3.x SSH Secure Shell
    > RH 7.x - SSH-2.0-2.x SSH Secure Shell
    > RH 6.x - SSH-2.0-2.x SSH Secure Shell
    > Slack 8.0 - SSH-2.0-3.x SSH Secure Shell
    > SuSE-7.3 - SSH-2.0-3.x SSH Secure Shell
    > FreeBSD 4.3 - SSH-2.0-3.x SSH Secure Shell
    > FreeBSD 4.3 - SSH-2.0-2.x SSH Secure Shell
    >
    > It tries to connect to port 22 when I target localhost, but I can't tell if
    > sshd is crashing or not as I can't use gdb to attach to the process in time.
    >
    >  The only SSH vulnerabilities I could find affected SSH1 servers, or
    > OpenSSH.  Has anyone else found this exploit on their systems or know
    > something about it?

    Yep, it's t0rn, least from other post incident notes I read.

    I recently cleaned-up a compromised Slackware (7.1, with vulnerable ssh).

    The version I found installed the following files:
     in /usr/src/.lib/
     	.1addr .1file .1proc dir find ifconfig install ls netstat ps pstree
    	secure.cgi (as backdoor?) syslogd top.
    	The replacement binaries were retrieved from:
    	http://212.66.231.20/arabela/prometeu.tar.gz. The script that
    	downloaded them stats with the banner:
    			 Additional file for lite5-r lrk.

     in /usr/src/linux/.lib
     	cleaner create crontd exit ilussion vanish
    	i,ssh_host_key,ssh_random_seed and sshd3 (altered ssh to listen on 33225.
    	backup/
    		backup of drop in replacements for system commands listed above.

     /usr/bin/twist2open
     	a script which was called on boot time from (modified) rc.sysinit and
    	which uses some files in /usr/lib/locale/ro_RO/uboot/

     /usr/lib/locale/ro_RO/uboot/
     	lots of stuff, among other things kernel modules to hide presence and
    	avoid killing malicious programs that were installed (my opinion after a
    	glance over code). It may sound familiar to you adore.c, ava.c
    	Also log sweepers, password sniffers.

     The intruder was a truly script-kiddie in that it didn't used the log
     cleaners at the second and next logins and also left all the files in the
     system and we were able to clean the system (though I suggested a fresh
     installation, which finally happened).

     Besides, I don't know if another utility, a login password sniffer, was part
     of this kit or installed later. It replaced /bin/login with
     	usr/local/man/man1/login.man, which communicates with a nscd daemon (of
    	course, compromised too) and collects login password.

    If interested on doing a more in depth analysis of this files please send a
    signed message along with your public key at teodorat_private

    -- teodor