RE: tcp/ip hardware offload

From: Richard Masoner (richardmat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 21:16:37 PST

    Liran Cohen wrote:

    >Upgrading can be done today on most of the hardware products , almost
    >every product in the field (networking) has a flash RAM which can be
    >changed (shiva devices , routers etc...) , regarding errors in
    >hard-coded software , there are already several patches and updates
    >for many devices .

    Are you talking about actual gate arrays?  or firmware which is run by a
    processor core?  I'm aware of how firwmare works, which is generally copied
    from a FLASH device to faster memory for actual execution by a CPU.  And I
    understand the PLDs and FPGAs are theoretically reprogrammable, but they're
    too expensive, aren't they?  You're not going to build an FPGA-based
    network adapter for under about US$ 5000, from what I understand (the
    iReady part is about $5.)

    I've re-read the Intel datasheet, and it appears the TCP/IP offload is in
    firmware rather than hardware.  The Adaptec part, however, seems to be gate
    arrays; I haven't heard from anybody at Adaptec to prove or disprove
    this.  I did get a response from somebody familiar with iReady, and he told
    me that early spins of the chip had some bugs which you basically had to
    just live with.

    I'm a software person rather than a hardware person, so feel free to
    educate me on this :-)

    Richard Masoner