cansecwest/core02

From: Dragos Ruiu (drat_private)
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 17:22:53 PST

    ----- Forwarded message from John Ormonde <jafo1723at_private> -----

    From: John Ormonde <jafo1723at_private>
    Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 15:44:22 -0500
    To: vuln-devat_private, pen-testat_private,
    bugtraqat_private
    Subject: CanSecWest '02 conference

    I was thinking about registering for this conference but there isn't
    an agenda yet on the web site and the registration form won't
    accept my credit card info. The tentative speaker list looks pretty
    impressive but these two things put some doubt in my mind about the
    conference.  Has anyone successfully registered? Did anyone attend
    last year?  Was it worthwhile?

    The on-line registration system still only accepts VISA, though we are
    working on direct authentication modules for Mastercard and Paypal.
    We have gone through some detailed design to develop a
    secure transaction system (even down to the level of pgp
    encrypting record information stored _inside_ the database
    in case the server is compromised), which we've had pen-tested
    by an all star audit team including hdm and rfp...  We figured
    the attendees of this conference _would_ notice any slip ups :-).

    You may register for the conference through the automated system
    at http://cansecwest.comor with a company cheque by e-mailing
    core02at_private and getting further info.

    In the interim while the new auth modules are being added we can accomodate
    AmEx (though we currently have no plans for adding automated processing
    of AmEx directly on line) and Mastercard through a manual PayPal transfer
    please contact core02at_private for this and/or any other conference
    related inquiries.

    The final speaking agenda for the single track conference which runs
    from May 1-3 is (paper titles still subject to change at speaker whims :-):

    Alfred Huger - VP Engineering - Security Focus - ah
    Alfred will be speaking about the back end analysis
    system of their ARIS product.

    Crispin Cowan - Chief Scientist - WireX Cmmunications
    Crispin will be giving a presentation about the Linux Security
    Module project, Immunix in general and it's components: StackGuard,
    FormatGuard, and RaceGuard.

    David Dittrich - Senior Security Engineer - University of Washington
    David will be speaking about forensics and the latest
    security fun and games at UW.

    Dug Song - Arbor Networks - dugsong
    Dug will be presenting some new IDS evasion techniques including
    a sequel to fragrouter.

    Fyodor Yarochkin - Security Analyst - Trusecure/Asia Pacific - beez
    Fyodor will be discussing fuzzy fingerprinting stuff and an
    xprobe2 demo.

    HD Moore - Digital Defense - hdm
    HD will be speaking about passive analysis and
    distributed security scanning using Nessus.

    Ivan Arce - CTO - Core-SDI - wario
    Ivan will be discussing automated penetration testing
    tools and CORE's new Impact product.

    Jed Haile - Nitro Data Systems - jed
    Jed will be discussing the open-source Hogwash
    Gateway IDS based on Snort that he is the principal
    author of.

    Jonathan Wilkins - emaze
    Jonathan will be discussing his taranis tool and
    Layer 2 hijacking attacks.

    jobe & shok - founders - w00w00 - unlearn, Shk
    Jobe will be presenting: Buffer Overflows, A cumulative review: It's not just %i7/%eip anymore.
    Shok will be presenting a paper title TBD.

    Jeff Nathan & Brian Caswell - McKesson, MITRE - jnathan, cazz
    Jeff will be discussing IDS technology and Brian will outline some
    experiences in deploying _very_ large distributed IDS systems at
    MITRE.

    Halvar Flake - Reverse Engineering - Blackhat Consulting - halvar
    Paper Title TBD

    Lance Spitzner - Global Enterprise Security Team - Sun Microsystems
    Lance will be discussion setting up Honeypots and Honeynets with
    excerpts from his new book on Honeypot technology.

    Marty Roesch - CEO - Sourcefire - mfr
    Marty will be discussion enterprise IDS deployment and
    the new IDS OpenSnort Console product from Sourcefire.

    Marshal Beddoe & Christopher Abad - Foundstone, Qualys - bind, aempirei
    Marshal and Chris will be discussing heap corruption vulnerabilities.

    Mike Schiffman - Director of Security Architecture - @stake - route
    Mike will be discussing wireless security and probably answer
    some questions about the latest release of libnet.

    Niels Provos - C.S. PhD Candidate - University of Michigan - ActivatE
    Niels will be talking about a paper title TBD and probably answer some questions
    about the OpenSSH project he works on.

    Ofir Arkin - Managing Security Architect - @stake - blaad
    Ofir will be giving a new presentation about technical details
    of VoIP security: Cracking SIP - Security Problems with VoIP Architecture

    Rain Forrest Puppy - head puppy - Wiretrip Labs - cail
    Paper Title TBD

    Ralph Logan - CEO - Camisade - rkl
    Paper Title TBD

    Richard Salgado - Computer Crime and Intellectual Property - U.S. Department of Justice
    Richard will be discussing recent policy and procedure changes
    at the FBI and DOJ and have a Q&A about regulatory and operational
    changes with the recent  DMCA and anti-terrorism legislation.

    Sebastien Lacoste-Seris and Nicolas Fischbach - securite.org d00dz - COLT Telecom - kaneda, nico
    Paper title TBD.

    Silvio Cesare - Qualys - zilvio
    Silvio will be discussing reverse engineering of the
    RST.b remote shell trojan linux virus caught in the wild, and
    virii anti-reverse engineering tactics and how to foil them.

    Simple Nomad - Bindview
    I want to be a Ninja Stealth Cyberterrorist - hypothetical scenarios for
    stealthy internet communications and other case studies.

    Solar Designer - head honcho - Openwall - solardiz
    Solar designer will be talking about the openwall
    secure linux patch and the secure OWL distribution.

    Hope this helps. I look forward to seeing you all in May.

    cheers,
    --dr

    --
    --dr                    http://dragos.com/dr-dursec.asc