RE: Bigger bug than expected?

From: Christophe Grenier (christophe.grenier@global-secure.fr)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 02:34:16 PST

    There is NO bug.

    With correct firewall rules, only TCP and SYN scan works.

      iptables -A INPUT -m state --state INVALID -m limit --limit 4/s -j LOG --log-prefix "INPUT INVALID "
      iptables -A INPUT -m state --state INVALID -j DROP
      iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
      iptables -A INPUT -p tcp ! --syn -m state --state NEW -m limit --limit 4/s -j LOG --log-prefix "TCP INPUT without SYN "
      iptables -A INPUT -p tcp ! --syn -m state --state NEW -j DROP
      iptables -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
      iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -j to-me
      iptables -A INPUT -i eth1 -j to-me
      iptables -A INPUT -m limit --limit 4/s -j LOG --log-prefix "INPUT bad "
      iptables -A INPUT -j DROP

    where to-me is a user defined rule where you allowed connection to certains ports.

    Extract from nmap documentation:
    > -sF -sX -sN
    > Stealth FIN, Xmas Tree, or Null scan modes:
    > <snip>
    > The idea is that closed ports are required to reply to your probe packet with an RST,
    > while open ports must ignore the packets  in question  (see RFC 793 pp 64).

    Your stealth packets are dropped by the firewall, check your logs.

    	Christophe

    --
    Global Secure
    78, rue de la Condamine