Re: DOCSIS vulnerability

From: Matthew S. Hallacy (poptixat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 06:06:28 PST

    On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 11:49:22AM +0100, Rense Buijen wrote:
    > Maybe your posts were rejected because this is very old news.
    > This is known for ages, I have such a cable modem and indeed you can get
    > the config file by TFTP; decode, alter, encode and upload it, but the
    > ISP's are not stupid and most of the time this is NOT how they cap your
    > cable modem, they throw traffic into a packeteer or use other methods to
    > squeeze your bandwidth.

    Interesting, I did not find anything like the url below via google searches,
    as for the ISP's, this is how they're limiting bandwidth. I know for a fact
    that it's possible on AT&T's network, as well as Charter Communications.

    Then again, AT&T can't even figure out BGP or DNS. AT&T proudly implements
    the SVRP(Scenic View Routing Protocol).

    > All the info can be gathered by a tool like this:
    > http://www.weird-solutions.com/_bin/bootpq.exe

    It was much simpler for me, AT&T leaves the read community as 'public'.

    > And a simple google search shows up hundreds of articles explaining how
    > you can "hack" DOCSIS cable modems, unfortunately (unless you have a
    > completely clueless provider) all these tricks wont work.
    >
    > E.g: http://lists.wi2600.org/pipermail/2600/2001-October/008668.html

    What search terms did you use?

    > Which dates from October 2001.

    A few months after I found it =)

    > (I tried it but my isp squeezes on the other end of the pipe, some
    > things that you can alter though is bypass restrictions of how many
    > computers could be connected right into the modem)

    I find it disgusting (again and again) that ISP's can be this stupid.