Re: Buffer overflow in awk

From: Rui Miguel Silva Seabra (rmsat_private)
Date: Fri Mar 15 2002 - 15:17:20 PST

    On Fri, 2002-03-15 at 18:39, sekureat_private wrote:
    > In my Debian Potato r5 and Conectiva Linux 7 it worked too!
    > But i would ask the some thing, why find a bug in awk and exploit it ?
    > 1) It isn't suid root in linux.
    > 2) doesn't used in web applications
    > Then, why exploit it ?

    Simple: awk is such a basic application that's likely being used in many
    scripts, some of which, probably, as root.

    It doesn't need being suid. All it needs is being run by root.
    If something's suid, it just means that anyone that can execute, will
    run the program as if he was the owner (usually root on system
    binaries).

    Hugs, rui

    + So let's do it...?