Re: RCA cable modem Deny of Servic

From: Gabriel A. Maggiotti (gmaggiotat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 10:08:28 PST

    -----Mario Lorenz wrote ---------
    [...]
    >>         If you   connect to the second device  (10.x.x.x) on port 80,

    RCA cable
    >> modem reset the user connection with inet. I proved it with my own
    wan
    ip 10.1.1
    >> .x and with other  cablemodem users  IP's in the same wan.   All of
    them  reset
    >>  when I remotly  connect to port 80 of the cablemodems.

    >This is probably more a software bug or an annoyance than a DOS
    >vulnerability.
    >You should not be allowed connect to the 10.x.x.x IPs anyway. Your
    >Provider
    >can fix this with a simple filter rule either provisioned into each
    >cable
    >modem or on the CMTS. It has always been good practice to separate
    >Customer
    >networks and Management networks (to which the 10.x.x.x Modem IP's
    >belong).
    >That is not cable modem specific. Write an advisory about your Cable
    >Provider
    >acking proper security measures, not about the cable modem :)

    Do you relly think that if you connect to (10.x.x.x) on port 80 and
    cablemodem reset
    is not a DOS?
    I understand that could be becouse of a default misconfiguration, but
    i'm very sure
    that RCA vendors dont want the cablemodem reset when you connect to it.
    And I think that by default cablemodem  must have 2 separated devices.

    If I'm wrong please let me know.

    Regard, Gabriel A. Maggiotti