Re: IIS .ASP Remote Buffer Overflow [testing for vulnerable installations]

From: Riley Hassell (rhassellat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 15:15:47 PDT

    If you want to test that an IIS4 or 5 server is vulnerable remotely you use
    one of the following methods.
    The request needs to be correct according to RFC.

    Send this request:

      "POST /iisstart.asp HTTP/1.1\r\n"
      "Accept: */*\r\n"
      "Host: eeye.com\r\n"
      "Transfer-Encoding: chunked\r\n"
      "\r\n"
      "1\r\n"
      "E\r\n"
      "0\r\n"
      "\r\n"
      "\r\n"
      "\r\n"

    It won't overwrite anything mission critical so the dllhost shouldn't lock
    up or exit. If you're vulnerable then you'll the following string in the
    error message "(0x80004005)<br>Unspecified". When a server is patched it
    will respond with a new error, I believe it's (0x80004005)<br>Request...

    You can also try putting NULL's in strange places in you request. The rollup
    fixes a problem in parsing requests with NULLs. When IIS see's something
    invalid in a request it will error back with "parameter incorrect", on an
    unpatched system the responses will vary.

    IDS Sig:

    As far as an IDS signature, you guys can check for the existence of
    "Transfer-Encoding: chunked\r\n". These two tags can be switched around a
    little so there has to be a certain level of logic available to the IDS.
    Beyond that the chunking section can changed around so it can't be used. The
    default file isn't really a possibility, an attacker can scan a server
    remotely for pages that have the necessary ASP tags ;)

    Riley Hassell
    Security Research Associate
    eEye Digital Security

    Get up...