Re: Re[2]: IIS .ASP Remote Buffer Overflow [testing for vulnerable installations]

From: Riley Hassell (rhassellat_private)
Date: Sat Apr 13 2002 - 06:45:04 PDT

    lets see whats up...

    Do it first manually. Copy and paste the request into a telnet session with
    the web server. I used the telnet.exe that came along with the machine I'm
    testing. It's running Windows 2000 Server, build 5.00.2195 with SP2 all the
    latest hotfixes prior to Q319733.

    Here it is:
    ----start
    POST /iisstart.asp HTTP/1.1
    Accept: */*
    Host: hostname-changed.com
    Transfer-Encoding: chunked

    1
    0
    ----end

    If you have troubles,try hitting [enter] a few more times in your telnet
    session after you have pasted the session in. Be patient, IIS may need to
    load the ISAPI filter, this could take several seconds or longer depending
    on the speed of the system.

    Also make sure you haven't changed your iisstart.asp file, just so we have
    the same test environment.

    For the app you're writing what particular language are you using?
    If you're writing an app to check for these, try adding a healthy timeout
    limit for data reads. IIS may need to load the filter so it could take a
    while.

    If IIS is still not throwing the error, then (if you'd like), send me a
    packet capture of your telnet session and a copy of the iisstart.asp file on
    the machine you're testing. Then I should be able to tell you why it's not
    working from that.

    There's also the possibility that this vulnerability may have been
    introduced with a  later version of the IIS related dll releases. Maybe a
    underlying code change, or patch caused this issue. Only speculation of
    course ;)

    -R

    Riley Hassell
    Security Research Associate
    eEye Digital Security

    Get up...
    and light the world on fire.

    > In my case it produces no error and simply responses with page content
    after

    >    "\r\n"
    >    "1\r\n"
    >    "E\r\n"
    >    "0\r\n"
    >    "\r\n"
    >

    > RH> It won't overwrite anything mission critical so the dllhost shouldn't
    lock
    > RH> up or exit. If you're vulnerable then you'll the following string in
    the
    > RH> error message "(0x80004005)<br>Unspecified". When a server is patched
    it
    > RH> will respond with a new error, I believe it's
    (0x80004005)<br>Request...