Re: Challenge

From: Kurt Seifried (bugtraqat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 16 2002 - 19:00:08 PDT

    We've struck Snakeoil boys (and gals)! To bad you can't bottle this stuff
    and sell it.

    Unless it's a one time pad (which it isn't) it's breakable (and even one
    time pads are if the data source isn't optimal).

    It is not under public scrutiny, just a rigged test (which for all we know
    is a file containing data from /dev/urandom) that will probably not be
    broken, which prooves nothing really (although the company will market it as
    "unbreakable".

    Judging from the number of bad grammatical errors on their website, the
    general style of prose, and the bold tags in (which thankfully won't show
    up):

    "Virtual Matrix Encryption (VME) is our proprietary technology.  It's a
    completely new approach to data encryption.  It has survived a battery of
    rigorous tests and challenges.  Nobody has ever broken data encrypted with
    VME."

    What battery of rigorous tests and challenges (20+ years of public
    scrutiny... no. public scrutiny at all... no. closed scrutiny by firms such
    as RSA... doesn't say but I will bet no.). I won't be adding this to my
    crypto book online anytime soon.

    Kurt Seifried, kurtat_private
    A15B BEE5 B391 B9AD B0EF
    AEB0 AD63 0B4E AD56 E574