Re: Spanning Tree Switch Exploits? Fact or Fiction?

From: Olli Artemjev (olliat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 11:23:55 PDT

    On Wed, 17 Apr 2002 02:01:29 -0700
    "Sean Convery" <grommondat_private> wrote:

    > I've heard a bit of rumbling about STP exploits with ethernet switches.
    > They seem to center around two possibilities:
    > 1) Sending bogus BPDUs to a switched network to continually force
    > spanning tree recalculation, thereby creating a DoS condition on the switches.
    Yes, this is possible due to 802.1d & 802.1q (but not 802.1s) have no security
    related to STP. You may do this since this is normal procedure defined in the standard.

    > If you look at FX's prezo from Black Hat Europe last year, he mentions the possibility of both, but doesn't
    > demonstrate anything.  I'm beginning to wonder if this is just a red herring.
    > Second question is more of a comment.  With far more useful exploits for
    > a  switched network (MAC flooding, ARP spoofing), why would you bother with
    > this anyway?  Especially since mitigating the threat is easy enough
    > (BPDU guard mode on Cisco at least).
    > Thoughts?
    > Thanks, Grom
    We've published an article in russian with full details on possible attacks against STP algorithm & implementation.
    The english version is in progress now. We're planning to publish this on the net after paper post.
    The announce in english is avaliable as a link from my ~page (see signature). We also posted this to bugrtaq & some other lists.
    Unfortunatelly security focus maintainers have their own opinion on my post (due to the license) - it can't be found on a web
    & replay to the question related to the corresponding subject in bugtraq was stopped by moderators. This list also didn't
    receive the announce since it contained a link to information currently avaliable only in russian. Well, there are a few DoS
    variants, MitM & a new sort of sniffing possibilities. More details will be avaliable soon in the english version of our article.
    The code will not be published though, at least it's full version due to script-kiddie presence in the world. =)

    --
    Bye.Olli						http://olli.digger.org.ru
    MISiS Telecommunications ; CTO, Metaltelecom. 	phone:	+7(095)955-0087