Privacy leak while surfing

From: Kai Kretschmann (K.Kretschmann@security-gui.de)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 02:27:39 PDT

    Hi,

    A small privacy leak seams to occur while surfing with IE in a local LAN.

    I noticed a lot of netbios name service broadcast from different windows
    workstations for name resolution requests of various webserver names. It
    seems that the IE tries to resolve normal internet domain names using local
    netbios ways in addition to the configured DNS.
    Now I can all see surfed domain names with the requesting client IP without
    spoofing anything, simply watch the broadcasts coming along.

    --
    Think-Safety
    www.security-gui.de