Eudora Logging

From: Deus, Attonbitus (Thorat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 07:16:03 PDT

    Greetings:

    This is not an advisory- there is no exploit, but I think it a valuable
    piece of information for Eudora users.  I'm glad Vuln-dev exists as a forum
    for this kind of stuff...

    The Eudora help file tells us about the Debug tag, where we may place
    parameters such as LogLevel.  A setting of LogLevel=127, for instance, will
    cause Eurdora to write a verbose log of all incoming and outgoing
    events.  This includes usernames, password, and full text of all incoming
    and outgoing messages.  You can also set Eudora to write the .log file to
    and .old file at a certain size and begin a new .log file.  You may also
    specify the name of the log file.

    It is actually a pretty cool tool to use to debug problems (as it shows all
    the client/server communications), but I don't like the fact that the
    client software never tells you that this logging is taking place.  Anyone
    with access to the .ini file, locally or remotely, can write these entries
    to Eudora's configuration.  As many corporations use Eudora as a more
    'secure' alternative to OE, there is a concern that shared systems or
    admins will be able to trivially capture all messaging for any user.

    I am fully aware that SMTP and POP3 are clear-text protocols, and that an
    admin (or anyone with physical access) could install keyboard loggers,
    sniffers, etc.  However, even when SSL is used to encrypt the SMTP and POP3
    channels, this log file still writes everything in clear text.

    I have been using Eudora for a while, and require SSL for all
    communications to/from the server-- I was unaware that this setting
    existed.  When I found out how easy it was to log everything even with
    these conditions, it concerned me- that is why I post this here, so that
    users of Eudora, particularly in corporate environments, would at least get
    a heads-up that this configuration parameter exists, and to take that into
    consideration when securing your installations.

    I sent an email to the Eudora dev team asking them to simply notify the
    user somewhere in the GUI that logging is enabled, but have not heard back
    from them.  I hope this information is of value to some.

    Cheers,

    AD