Re: [Fwd: FW: XP Screen Saver password uses Old password until logout or New one is used.]

From: Zow (zowat_private)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 08:55:20 PDT

    > 	Don't be confused though, this is only a MS feature.  It is
    > listed to "improve performance".  I, however, am confused as UNIX so far
    > out performs MS yet is not plagued with the whole needing to logoff
    > thing.

    I was reading an article about five years ago (hence I can't recall the
    source, but I think it was the tech section of Computer Shopper) that stated
    that Microsoft has deliberately put many layers of abstraction between the
    hardware and the UI (like on the order of 30!) based on the premise that
    Moore's Law will allow the average PC hardware to catch up in a few months and
    that it allows each successive level of programmer to be more productive as
    they don't have to worry about the details below them. Unix style systems tend
    to keep much closer to the hardware, especially where file operations are
    concerned.

    Also, keep in mind that Unix isn't a fully mediated system either. When a user
    opens a file, they get a file handle. As long as they keep that file handle
    open, they can do anything to that file that they were allowed to as of the
    time they obtained the file handle. That's rather easy to demonstrate by
    making a file rw and start to edit it in one terminal. From another terminal,
    change the permissions on the file to read only. Back on the first terminal,
    you should still be able to save your changes (unless your editor is being too
    smart and rechecking the file permissions before the save).

    > I guess we should just be thankful.......at least windows
    > doesn't require a reboot.

    I've found that most problems in Windows, especially in the NT/2k line, can be
    fixed by logging out and logging back in. It's interesting how deeply most
    people have the notion of "reboot to fix problems" embedded, considering that
    it really came from systems that people rarely use anymore.

    Terry

    use StandardDisclaimer