Re: Wlan @ bestbuy is cleartext?

From: Philip Rowlands (phrat_private)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 11:05:47 PDT

    On Wed, 1 May 2002, Blue Boar wrote:

    >Heres my delima... I checked out a few of the other best buy stores for
    >"beacon packets" and everyone I drove by was sending them out...so I assume
    >all BestBuy's are wlan enabled. What I need to find out is ... are
    >BestBuys's Cash register terminals indeed using wlan and are they indeed
    >sending out MY data in the clear... I am NOT comfortable using my credit
    >card at ANY BestBuy as of right now...  due to legality though I don't feel
    >comfortable walking into the store and confronting someone about it....

    You could contact an investigative journalist, even anonymously.
    Assuming your motives are to protect ignorant customers' CC numbers,
    rather than extortion, you'd probably get a fair hearing.

    Search for "whistleblowers guide" on Google :)

    http://members.tripod.com/whistle20/resources.htm

    Cheers,

    Phil