RE: Wlan @ bestbuy is cleartext?

From: Vachon, Scott (Scott.Vachonat_private)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 10:35:55 PDT

    >Checking into it may be a legality problem.

    How so ? He's not the one transmitting confidential data in the clear...

    > For those of you interested in trying this one out at your local BestBuy,
    be aware
    >they may already know...

    And if they are still transmitting in the clear, then they are legally
    liable...

    >Anyway, at this point, I suggest you contact local law enforcement
    >and ask them what they think.  By now, I would hope most areas have a
    >network tasks forces that can at least address the issue either for
    >you or with you when you  confront BestBuy.  Who knows, you may be a
    >hero and hire you as a CSO ;-)

    LOL. I like the assumption about the task forces but, I fear you are very
    wrong. The bigger cities may have them but, the thousands of smaller towns
    are doubtful at best. I suspect many would not be able to cite any
    infractions on the part of the tech bringing this to their attention. I
    further doubt they would have the jurisdiction to accompany said person to
    BestBuy to help unscrew them. I do suspect that one or two people employed
    by them have run this up the flagpole in the last few hours...

    >Also, I wouldn't doddle on this, you may prevent an identity theft!

    No better reason needed. Well said.

    ~S~

    Disclaimer: My own 2 cents....
    ______________
    Original Post Here:
    his past week I went to bestbuy to purchase a D-link wlan card...
    egar to
    get my laptop up and running while in the car I put my card in and
    installed the driver. I noticed the traffic light was lit up as if I
    had a
    connection. Out of curriosity I fired up kismet and sure enough there
    were
    packets flying through the air right infront of BestBuy. Well I
    decided to
    run in an try to make a Credit Card purchase real quick to verify
    that my
    info was not going all over the parking lot in the clear. Well after
    sorting out my logs I noticed what looked to be like SQL queries and
    table
    headers in my logs ... things such as CUSTOMER_ROUTEID, BANKNAME,
    REGISTER_ID and things of that nature... luckily no where in that
    data did
    I find my own credit card. Non the less I decided to run to the store
    next
    to BestBuy while I left me PC on grabbing packets. Well yesterday I
    sorted
    through the data collected and this time I did indeed find a RAW
    clear text
    credit card number....not mine ... but definately a credit card
    number.

    Heres my delima... I checked out a few of the other best buy stores
    for
    "beacon packets" and everyone I drove by was sending them out...so I
    assume
    all BestBuy's are wlan enabled. What I need to find out is ... are
    BestBuys's Cash register terminals indeed using wlan and are they
    indeed
    sending out MY data in the clear... I am NOT comfortable using my
    credit
    card at ANY BestBuy as of right now...  due to legality though I
    don't feel
    comfortable walking into the store and confronting someone about
    it.... for
    all I know it could be standard BestBuy corp. practices to use
    nonsecure
    wlan. I figured by starting a thread other people that have attempted
    this
    may have more info or some from BestBuy may be reading the list and
    they
    may pipe up.