RE: Wlan @ bestbuy is cleartext?

From: Ron DuFresne (dufresneat_private)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 12:25:13 PDT

    The legailites I believe bearout like so:

    passive scanning does not constitute a criminal trespass under current
    law.  Most laws on transmissions relate to voice transactions.  There have
    also been issues raised with video war driving/scanning, with devices such
    as the X10 and XCam2 devices, wireless video equipment, often marketed as
    'nanny-cams' and even used by some small businesses and home folks as
    'security' equipment.  I have a paper I'm seeking to publish, just looking
    at whom is interested in publishing it, on these issues.

    Once one actually makes a network connection, they are then most probably
    guilty of tresspass and criminal computer laws infringment.  Of course,
    most of those are worded towards the wired environments and we might well
    see precedents being set and some legal issues having to be dropped once
    statrted due to current laws on the books.  It will depend upon how savvy
    and tech capable the defenses are for those first apprehended.

    Thanks,

    Ron DuFresne