RE: Wlan @ bestbuy is cleartext?

From: H C (keydet89at_private)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 12:48:09 PDT

    Ken,

    Good input.  There are companies that do credit
    monitoring, some by consolidating up-to-date
    information from all three credit reporting agencies.
    This helps guard against identity theft, etc.

    I do agree with the concerns, however, of the OP.  It
    would be somewhat shocking to make a purchase, and
    then find the CC info in a packet capture.  However, I
    think that there are some things that do need to be
    pointed out about the original post:

    1.  There are many sites our on the 'Net that provide
    maps of various cities and accessible WAPs...with more
    information from the OP, this may be verifiable to
    some degree.

    2.  Being anonymous, one has to question the
    credibility of the OP.  From his account, it doesn't
    sound as if he did anything wrong.  While I do
    understand that he wouldn't want his name or IP known,
    he could have provided some information by which his
    claims could be independently verified.  How do we
    even know that he was, in fact, on the Best Buy WLAN?
    It could very well have been some other WLAN.

    While it *may* have been the Best Buy WLAN, what makes
    the OP think that the cash registers are on this WLAN?
     Most POS devices are cabled.  I can see where devices
    used in inventory may be on a WLAN, and I wouldn't be
    too surprised to find out that the LAN isn't segmented
    to prevent sensitive information from passing over the
    WLAN.  However, all we have at this point is
    unverifiable claims.

    3.  The OP stated that he examined the data after his
    second capture, and found a credit card number.  How
    do we know?  I'm not saying that this information
    should be posted to the list, or to any individual for
    that matter...but I am saying that several claims were
    made that are completely unverifiable.

    The next step is basically up to the OP.  I don't
    think that this is an issue for law enforcement,
    necessarily, but it may be something that does need to
    be addressed.    Take it up w/ corporate, and if you
    aren't satisfied with their response, go to a consumer
    advocacy group.