Re: Wlan @ bestbuy is cleartext?

From: Ron DuFresne (dufresneat_private)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 15:02:49 PDT

    This has been x-posted to the firewalls list as it relates directly to a
    thread there on a potential WLAN rollout question and VPN solutions
    considered to 'secure' such open air transmissions.  <hoping BB will let
    this post pass on vul-dev as well>

    On Wed, 1 May 2002, Erik Parker wrote:

    	[SNIP]

    > However, it's best buys decision on what they want to do with their
    > customers data.. Even though I'm pretty sure there are legal consequences
    > for them as well.. At least with their insurers.

    	[SNIP]

    I think that the customer data does not totally belong to BestBuy, but
    also the issuing credit company, as well as the customer.  So, there well
    could be other legal issues involved, and would be if this at all related
    to HIPPA.

    And I know alot of the discussion here so far has been directed at Best
    Buy and others that have rolledout insecured wireless inplmementations,
    and with some right to be not only shocked at these toys being placed as
    they are into use by the companies in question.  But, if we are going to
    direct efforts at blame and how to make such toys as semi-secure as we can
    at present, let's make sure we point fingers at those ultimately
    responsible for unsafe open default configurations and hiding information
    deep in CDROMS from the endusers attention about how to attempt to
    semi-secure these toys, the vendors, Lucent, Cisco, and the others pushing
    out wireless capabile toys without safe default configurations to begin
    with.  There's alot of talk about how to VPN tunnel and IPSEC tunnel these
    connections to try and lock down security, but, information leakage is
    still a serious matter.  And none of this should come as new news to
    anyone.  Folks have for quite ometime been doing work on mapping projects
    and releasing tools to crack WEP and trying to spread the word in their
    own fashion that wireless is at present a bad deal<TM>.  Now, rather then
    hint at and push excerpts from, lets just be done with it and push our
    venture to warn of the problems out to the public now, folks are just not
    alarmed enough to do the research and fear these toys being deployed in
    their environments even after the work of many we reference and site in
    this paper which follows the original post prompting it's release here:

    > BB> This past week I went to bestbuy to purchase a D-link wlan card... egar to
    > BB> get my laptop up and running while in the car I put my card in and
    > BB> installed the driver. I noticed the traffic light was lit up as if I had a
    > BB> connection. Out of curriosity I fired up kismet and sure enough there were
    > BB> packets flying through the air right infront of BestBuy. Well I decided to
    > BB> run in an try to make a Credit Card purchase real quick to verify that my
    > BB> info was not going all over the parking lot in the clear. Well after
    > BB> sorting out my logs I noticed what looked to be like SQL queries and table
    > BB> headers in my logs ... things such as CUSTOMER_ROUTEID, BANKNAME,
    > BB> REGISTER_ID and things of that nature... luckily no where in that data did
    > BB> I find my own credit card. Non the less I decided to run to the store next
    > BB> to BestBuy while I left me PC on grabbing packets. Well yesterday I sorted
    > BB> through the data collected and this time I did indeed find a RAW clear text
    > BB> credit card number....not mine ... but definately a credit card number.

    			Wireless Vendor Woes and Shame
    			    (c) Ron DuFresne 2002

    I heard a fine paper delivered here by Alan Clegg on his efforts to map
    the local wireless infrastructure in the Raleigh/Durham/RTP area.  Art
    Ehuan, with Cisco Systems gave a backup talk on the threats faced and the
    tools available to exploit these wireless streams spewing data freely into
    the airwaves here.  Much of these issues have been the topic of treads
    in this and other security lists as well as covered in the various
    systems/network security journals.  Not having a need at present to
    consider or deal with the woes of wireless toys, I have watched these
    discussions and disclosures, and gathered together some of the more
    enlightening material for the time I have to deal with these new toys
    in some manner, if it be only to argue against their deployment in
    areas we work and support.

    Even though the weaknesses in WEP are now widely known, and some vendors
    such as Cisco have developed and are deploying somewhat better proprietary
    encryption and authorization protocols for 802.11b <LEAP>, it is shocking
    to note and others have identified the lack of vendor accountability and
    responsibility in offering these toys with safe default settings and
    configurations[0].   Not only that, but manuals are sparse on covering
    safe configurations, and most often the user/implementer has to dig deeply
    into documentation stashed away on the CDROMS that accompany these
    products to find anything on encryption and safe setup of these devices.
    As Alan touched on in his talk, and Steven Connelly pointed out in his
    preview of this article:  "most manuals don't explain what/why there are
    different channels and as a result most admins just use the default ones
    which in the case of a crowded city is quite detrimental to basic
    performance (as shown in Shipley's defcon talk where something like 80% of
    the APs in downtown SF were all on the same channel.)"  <Peter Shipley's
    work can be found in the bottom referenced work for this paper>  The
    emphasis it seems is on plug and pray technology.  And the stress on PnP
    here is not on it working when plugged, as it most often does anyways, but
    the praying that you are not 'discovered' too quickly and exploited for
    deploying toys that just are not really safe for the times.  As seems
    always is the case, technology is out pacing our abilities to deal with
    the ramifications of it's deployment. Neither Lucent nor Cisco are
    responsible with the tools they are pushing to market as regards safe
    default setups and configurations.  And, we are unaware of any vendor
    offerings that do any better in an accountable and/or responsible manner.
    Granted an admin or any other user setting up such equipment and
    applications should certainly check their configurations and settings.
    Yet, being that this information is tucked far under the documentation
    hood, deep enough many without specific insights into the workings of
    their new toys, and also considering the weaknesses of WEP and even the
    newer proprietary encryption/authentication methods folks like Cisco are
    pushing out, the burden rests in the vendor realm to provide safest
    default setups possible.  Shame on these folks!

    Alan pointed out the severity of the "problem" in just our local area by
    mapping out not only many private home wireless deployments, also
    various corporate ones as well as some local government AP's <wireless
    access points>, many without even WEP enabled, but found at least one
    highly visible federal government contractor with a wireless AP deployed,
    again, *without* even WEP enabled![1]  This even after the 9/11 attacks
    and recent supposed focus upon security.

    Of course, even with WEP enabled, the way the 802.11b protocol is setup
    and the fact that it's spewed into the airwaves means that valuable
    network information is leaked in just the management packets. SSID's, IP
    address info, and more can be gleaned from only management  packets.
    There is no protection from passive sniffing of these packets due to
    network segmenting and the concept is pretty much not applicable to
    wireless Ethernet transmissions.  Additionally, neither speaker mentioned
    there are known weaknesses in the SNMP implementations of many of these
    devices subjecting them to further exploit wireless networks via less
    passive intrusion and DDOS attempts.

    While most often signals are limited to 300 feet or so, better receiving
    antennas can put a sniffer or active attacker miles away.  Alan showed one
    off the shelf antenna he purchased that gave him up to a 2.5 mile radius.
    there are other capabilities that can be even more affective then what Mr.
    Clegg demonstrated.  Steven Hume at Novell <shumeat_private>, recently
    noted in one of the security mailing lists:

    	Anyone interested in the Pringles antenna :-

    	http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448

    	Using this they claim they could get 11mbps over 10 miles!

    Mr. Hume additionally pointed folks here:

    	a good article covers many of the points raised plus more:

    	http://www.extremetech.com/print_article/0,3428,a=13880,00.asp

    This includes additional pointers to wireless mapping efforts in various
    other US cities.   Afterall, wireless mapping has been going on for
    sometime now.  The issues related to wireless roll outs have been known and
    available for sometime.  What the Clegg and Ehuan papers disclose is how
    little attention has been paid by NC IT personnel to these issues, even
    those tasked with securing their infrastructures.  There discussions
    were meant as a heads up to those maintaining the network infrastructures
    for their prospective organizations.  These people either are not paying
    attention to the issues and implications of their network roll outs and
    ventures, due to time or knowledge/training constraints or lack the
    skills to do so.  It also demonstrates a failing in many network security
    policies for these companies and ineffective network security auditing
    procedures and practices.   Our key admins and corporate security folks
    are lagging by at least a full year to this information and it's
    availability!  Not that this separates them from those folks tasked with
    such matters in various other locations about the country that much.
    Alan's findings are pretty much representative of the findings of others
    throughout the US in their wireless mapping research, something on the
    order of what Jason Costomiris reported a few months back;