Wireless Point of Sale Solutions

From: Raymond C. Parks (rcparksat_private)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 23:18:46 PDT

    Interesting web-site - these use Epson hardware which comes complete with a PCMCIA
    slot.

    http://www.datavantage.com/blendnews.asp?ID=50

    http://www.datavantage.com/chatter.htm

    Other products exist, but it is not clear in all cases whether they use 802.11b or
    something proprietary.  There are lots of wireless phone based products, also.

    http://executouch.com/

    http://www.w-e-commerce.com/

    http://www.isit.com/IndexWIRE.cfm

    http://www.1.slb.com/smartcards/wireless/posapp.html

    http://www.1.slb.com/smartcards/news/00/sct_mobitex0502.html

    http://www.moneris.com/shortbasic/

    Not POS, but inventory management -

    http://www.barcodeus.com/

      All of the POS computers seem to have 10/100 Ethernet ports built-in.  Nearly all the
    software is WinNT or Win2K (a few lean&mean DOS systems survive).

      About Wal-Mart - a friend who worked in a local super-store informs me that only their
    inventory system uses wireless.  The registers are hardwired to a separate computer
    system.  He said he was able to access their server with ease, even though he worked
    as a stocker.

      Overall, I am not surprised at the possibility of 802.11b wireless POS systems.  I am
    surprised that they don't have at least WEP by default.