Re: more best buy media coverage

From: Deus, Attonbitus (Thorat_private)
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 12:49:17 PDT

    At 09:32 AM 5/2/2002, you wrote:

    >http://www.silicon.com/public/door?6004REQEVENT=&REQINT1=53089&REQSTR1=silicon.com
    >
    >regards,

    Well, let's hear it for journalistic integrity!  Someone turns BB's
    voluntary deactivation of some wireless registers into this:

    "Major stores beam credit card details to the car park
    Hacking into people's private data is as easy as parking a car...

    Major US retail chain Best Buy has been forced to close down its wireless
    cash registers after security experts revealed it had been making credit
    card information available to anyone in the vicinity with the equipment to
    detect wireless networks."

    The fact that there may be an issue is bad enough- it is really unfortunate
    that the authors of these articles have to sensationalize it with FUD like
    "forced to close down" and "experts revealed it had been making cc info
    available".   No one has revealed *anything*.   We have someone who
    *thinks* it was Best Buy, and who *thinks* it might be a CC number.

    The article *should* have gone like this:

    "Best Buy Does the Right Thing"
    "Under allegations that Best Buy's wireless POS network may be transmitting
    confidential customer data which could be intercepted by wireless sniffers,
    Best Buy has voluntarily disabled the devices so that they can conduct an
    investigation."

    This is nothing new *at all*.  Hell, the article I wrote on wireless is
    almost a year old, and I came to the game quite late.  People use
    un-encrypted wlan all the time.  I agree that if they are transmitting
    confidential data that this is wrong, but no one has verified this.

    Best Buy has shut it all down- the OP needs to post the captures.  It can't
    do any harm at this point.  Put up, or shut up!  Email it to me and *I'LL*
    post it!!

    AD