RE: Wlan @ bestbuy is cleartext?

From: OBrien, Brennan (BOBrienat_private)
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 13:01:02 PDT

    Just so I'm clear... I know I remember the discussion of "security by obscurity" going the way of the dodo bird, but when did we decide "security through humiliation" was a good technique??

    From the Best Buy response below, it sure looks like they made an honest mistake in their practices -- SOMETHING EVERY ONE OF US HAS DONE IN THE PAST.  So, now we're going to raise fear, uncertainty and doubt in the (already a little flighty) buying public which could scare away more consumers and really hurt these guys.  Is this issue fact? Yes.  Does the public at large get it?  Nope, not really.

    Funny thing about guns... When you pull the trigger, you not only need to know what you're hitting, but what's beyond it in case the bullet goes all the way through..

    Sarah, it was really cool of you to send them your note.  Good job.