Re: BACKSTEALTH reverse engineered

From: Shaun Clowes (shaunat_private)
Date: Fri May 03 2002 - 19:29:51 PDT

     > I've reverse engineered the backstealth program that's been going around,
     > with the original info found at
     > http://piorio.supereva.it/backstealth.htm?p

    Just incase you're interested, the general technique you've reversed here is
    very popular and well known. It's usually referred to as 'injecting a dll' and
    was first documented by Jeffrey Richter in a 1994 Windows System Journal
    article. His original source code (InjLib) is still around but a number of
    (open and closed source) tools use it, e.g fport and pwdump. As you've found,
    the ability to have code executed in the context of another process is very
    useful and many security schemes can be subverted this way (hell, when you
    think about it, kernel backdoors and viruses are really just souped up forms of
    this).

    Incidentally, injectso does pretty much the same thing on Solaris and
    Linux systems.

    Cheers,
    Shaun

    ~