Re: Publishing Nimda Logs

From: zeno (bugtraqat_private)
Date: Wed May 08 2002 - 05:33:17 PDT

    > On Tuesday 07 May 2002 17:06, zeno wrote:
    > > Here is an idea.
    > >
    > > Perhaps make windows do updates every 5 minutes in default install. Problem
    > > solved.
    > >

    > > - zenoat_private
    >
    > Aacckkk! No!  Windows XP Pro has the automatic update service enabled by
    > default and that is a BAD idea.  I want to know what patches are going to be
    > installed before they reach my production servers.  For one thing I don't
    > want to install things that don't apply to my system.  For another patches
    > are not always tested sufficiently (NT4 SP2 anyone?)
    >
    > I would prefer that Microsoft leave this function out of the default install
    > and opt for "inform me when a patch is available" mode instead.  They can
    > even make it red and flashy and say "critical" but don't install it for me.

    I agree not every patch should be installed. Perhaps manditory security patches should be.
    Problem is knowing how microsoft works they'd probably try to sneak something else in along
    with that patch..Also they'd have to make sure the patches work properly before releasing on all
    systems....

    - zenoat_private