Re: CRLF Injection

From: Justin Case (weaver27at_private)
Date: Thu May 09 2002 - 06:37:46 PDT

    Ulf Harnhammar wrote:
    > we can redirect to a site while setting a cookie by giving $url the value
    > "http://www.kuro5hin.org/\015\012Set-Cookie: evil=natas". If the cookie
    > contains important data and one user can save URL's that another user will be
    > redirected to, this can be serious.

    While doing a pentest for a major banking website, I showed them how an attacker
    could use this technique to set a permanent cookie to an invalid value,
    resulting in a permanant DOS against every user that encountered the attack.

    They finally understood what I was saying when I locked up a manager's browser
    and he couldn't get into his own site until I deleted his bad cookie. But they
    still felt it would be too much work to fix it.