Re: PDF modifications?

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Fri May 17 2002 - 05:50:59 PDT

    On Fri, 17 May 2002 08:14:18 +0200, "Dawes, Rogan (ZA - Johannesburg)" said:

    > If the PDF is openable and viewable, but is "protected", so that you can't
    > select or print or annotate, that is easily bypassed with almost any
    > non-Adobe PDF viewer, such as xpdf, which simply elects not to honour that
    > setting in the PDF. The data is all there, because you can view it, it is
    > simply a case of the software choosing to not let you select it. Find some
    > software that doesn't honour those document settings, and you are on your
    > way.
    >
    > As I recall, there was some discussion about this issue on the xpdf lists,
    > or somewhere, about whether xpdf should honour the document requests or not,
    > but it is really moot, since the source is there, just modify it to suit. I
    > think that was the conclusion by the xpdf developers, so they simply didn't
    > bother honouring the setting.

    This must have been pre-DMCA. I would recommend that the xpdf
    developers not visit the US, lest they be Skylarov'ed.

    (The vuln-dev connection?  Consider why Alan Cox censored a Linux kernel
    changelog - but further discussion should probably be moved to a political
    list.  If you're in the US and of voting age, contact your Congresscreature
    and tell them you want them to support Rep. Rick Boucher (D-VA) in his
    attempts to fix the anti-circumvention clause of the DMCA).

    We now return you to your regularly scheduled vuln-dev discussion, which
    may be in violation of the anti-circumvention clause....
    --
    				Valdis Kletnieks
    				Computer Systems Senior Engineer