Re: Online Games Consoles and Security Implications

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Tue May 21 2002 - 18:55:00 PDT

    On Tue, 21 May 2002 08:50:57 EDT, Elan Hasson <elanat_private>  said:

    > The xbox is VERY secure, read the docs on Network Security in the SDK.

    Color me dubious, if you're basing that statement on the docs.  If you're
    citing "and Big Name XYZ wasn't able to break it either", then I'll be a
    *bit* more inclined to agree.

    Remember that Allchin testified under oath last week that many of those
    API's had to remain undocumented for "national security" - presumably
    because if hackers knew the API was there, they could rape, pillage, and
    burn even worse than they are now.

    Now, admittedly, the fact that IE is (hopefully) not in the XBox version
    of Embedded XP improves matters significantly.

    > MS even has a bit in there about Denial Of Service..and how the xbox can
    > handle it and not affect game performance.

    However, I won't buy the "handle it and not affect game performance" at
    face value until tested by others.  I mean, let's THINK for a moment -
    do they just mean "non-network game performance"?  If you're on a cable
    modem playing a game that wants 100kbits/sec of data, and you get hosed
    down by a DoS attack that drops your effective throughput to 5kbits,
    you WILL BE HOSED, no matter what the docs say.

    Unless Microsoft has some ultra-sneaky ultra-nifty QoS hooks in its
    TCP/IP stack that interface into the routers at the upstream end of your
    connection so you don't get packets you didn't want?  Of course, if such
    hooks did exist, somebody should clue in the Cisco and Juniper users over
    on the NANOG mailing list - one guy at a Tier-1 provider was estimating
    that 10-15% of *all* the traffic was DDOS-related.
    --
    				Valdis Kletnieks
    				Computer Systems Senior Engineer