Re: OT? Are chroots immune to buffer overflows?

From: Andreas Ferber (aferberat_private-bielefeld.de)
Date: Wed May 22 2002 - 00:31:12 PDT

    On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 03:48:16PM +1200, Jason Haar wrote:

    > Most buffer overflows I've seen attempt to infiltrate the system enough to
    > run /bin/sh. In chroot'ed environments, /bin/sh doesn't (shouldn't!) exist -
    > so they fail.
    >
    > Is it as simple as that? As 99.999% of the system binaries aren't available
    > in the jail, can a buffer overflow ever work?

    The buffer overflow still works as expected (the bug is in the daemon,
    not in /bin/sh), though the shellcode used in most precooked exploits
    doesn't work. If the buffer is large enough so that the attacker can
    place more code than just an exec("/bin/sh") into it, he can still do
    all nasty things inside the bounds of the jail (e.g. uploading his own
    shell and executing that one ;-)

    Andreas
    --
           Andreas Ferber - dev/consulting GmbH - Bielefeld, FRG
             +49 521 1365800 - afat_private - www.devcon.net