Re: Online Games Consoles and Security Implications

From: Vasisht Tadigotla (vasishtat_private)
Date: Wed May 22 2002 - 13:54:38 PDT

    On Wed, 22 May 2002, Ryan Verner wrote:

    > > If you could install Linux on an Xbox, which has a harddisk unlike
    > > Dreamcast where you have to load the OS everytime you boot, you might have
    > > a problem. In anycase Xbox is a kind of a PC anyway and would be
    >
    > If someone wants to hack up their Xbox to do something other than what the
    > manafacturer (Microsoft) intended, then I don't think any "Security
    > Implications" are really much of a concern in context.  It isn't their
    > problem.  Its your problem, as the one who modified the equimpment.
    >
    > Besides, I'm sure installing Linux would break the warranty - enough said.

    Once you install Linux it's no different from a normal PC anyway. But as
    someone else on the list pointed out, what about the restricted version of
    windows which comes default with the Xbox. It could be subject to a
    DoS. The implications are not huge I admit, you might lose your game data
    but it's still a vulnerability if such an attack is possible.

    I'm taking a wild guess as I do not know what kind of Windows the Xbox
    has, maybe you could remotely access files on the disk, use it as a client
    for some distributed attack so on and so forth

    vasisht