Re: OT? Are chroots immune to buffer overflows?

From: aazubel (core.lists.exploit-dev@core-sdi.com)
Date: Wed May 22 2002 - 12:01:50 PDT

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: SpaceWalker <core.lists.exploit-dev@core-sdi.com>
    To: <vuln-devat_private>
    Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 8:02 AM
    Subject: Re: OT? Are chroots immune to buffer overflows?

    > Hi, your question is interresting, I've a good response for you
    > I'm speeking on the linux kernel, on a X86 box, but could be usable in
    most archs.
    > The chroot limitations breaks you only the accesses to the local
    filesystem. In most cases, you don't have an access to /proc ,/dev/*, nor to
    /bin/sh.
    > But If you are able to run code as root, a few syscalls are still
    available to you :
    > inserting modules and ptrace().
    > Both can be used to own the entire system, I coded two weeks ago a
    shellcode which uses ptrace to get out of the chroot, tracing his ppid
    (usualy inetd in the case of a chrooted ftp server), inserting a shellcode
    and leaving.

    or .. do man 2 chroot under linux and read:

    NAME
           chroot - change root directory
    (...)
    DESCRIPTION
    (...)
           Only the super-user may change the root directory.

           Note that this call does not change  the  current  working
           directory,  so  that `.' can be outside the tree rooted at
           `/'.  In particular, the  super-user  can  escape  from  a
           `chroot jail' by doing `mkdir foo; chroot foo; cd ..'.

    aazubelat_private

    --- for a personal reply use: "aazubel" <aazubelat_private>