RE: wireless woes in the triangle and beyond!

From: Ron DuFresne (dufresneat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 04 2002 - 03:03:10 PDT

    On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, Noonan, Wesley wrote:

    > I have a buddy of mine in the UK who uses rogue AP's to access the net for
    > free. He uses this thing he calls a "cantenna" (essentially he cracks open
    > the card and wires it to a metal milk carton) to boost the signal and range
    > so that he can hit any of a number of APs in the area. Swears by it as the
    > "only way to access the net"...

    Wireless is going to be a big problem at many sites for sometime for sure.
    Rouge AP's should be covered in the sites security policy, as should all
    wireless toys and trinkets.

    Then again it seems the new nibda/code red issue of this summer is the M$
    SQL prblem.  Scans from infected systems on ports 1433 1434 are increasing
    at a dramatic pace this past week or two....

    Thanks,

    Ron DuFresne