RE: Xbox (Was -Online Games Consoles and Security Implications)

From: Robert Freeman (freem100at_private)
Date: Tue Jun 04 2002 - 18:33:31 PDT

    Sure the XBox is protected by the DMCA. However, there are six exemptions to the DMCA, which include encryption research and security testing. Security testing (section 1201j) requires permission whereas encryption research (section 1201g) apparently does not. The paper stays strictly related to encryption research, so I tend to think the author has fulfilled legal obligations. On a related note, the work is beyond the understanding of the general public, so I'd doubt MS will lift a finger. Now if somebody did something based on the paper...

    RF

    ----- Original Message Deus
    Attonbitus: "Deus, HammerofGod" <comat_private>