Re: PGP spoof decrypted output?

From: Rich Henning (vulnerableat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 07 2002 - 09:42:41 PDT

    On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 08:56:30AM -0500, McAllister, Andrew wrote:
    > What result would you expect? The data I encrypted or the data the hacker appended? The answer: No warnings, no errors, just the data that the hacker APPENDED to my PGP encrypted file. Not the original signed and encrypted file itself. This seems like a bug to me, no?
    > I've found that if you ASCII armor the file, the result is as expected after decryption. You get only the originally encrypted file. I have not tested gpg or pgpi or older versions, just the NAI PGP available from the MIT download site. Anyone care to test the other implementations?

    I was unable to reproduce this behavior using GPGv1.0.6 on linux-2.4.18 x86
    in fact, i was even warned that the encrypted message was modified:

    $ cat TESTFILE2
    this is a pgp encrypted file

    $ gpg -es TESTFILE2

    $ echo "APPENDED" >> TESTFILE2.gpg

    $ gpg --decrypt TESTFILE2.gpg
    gpg: encrypted with 1024-bit ELG-E key, ID A873F010, created 2001-10-18
          "Richard Henning <henninrpat_private>"
          this is a pgp encrypted file
          gpg: Signature made Fri Jun  7 12:32:16 2002 EDT using DSA key ID
          8B036609
    	  gpg: Good signature from "Richard Henning <henninrpat_private>"
          gpg: WARNING: encrypted message has been manipulated!

    --
    [ rich henning      ]                                             /"\
    [ henninrpat_private ]                                             \ /

    pgp: http://diss0nance.lawngnome.org/pgp_public.txt