Re: Phone Switches + telephone banking etc

From: hellNbak (hellnbakat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 07 2002 - 14:34:45 PDT

    I have done some playing with some higher end 2.4G scanners here in Canada
    and find it very easy to not only listen in on various phone calls but
    also record the tones.  I am unsure of what effect playing them back would
    have as that is a little too far over the line for my liking...

    Dont do banking via a normal cellular or cordless phone

    On Fri, 7 Jun 2002 quentynat_private wrote:

    > if you phone HSBC in the UK and ask to change your "security number"
    > they will ask you if you are on a cordless phone or a mobile. Remember
    > the "old" cordless phones that could be eaves dropped accidentally ? (
    > or with a scanner from maplins )
    >
    > Now DECT phones are all the rage I suppose the question is irrelevant (
    > also GSM mobiles are supposedly encrypted anyway)
    >
    > I just phoned HSBC's telephone banking division and their policy is that
    > "you should not use cordless or mobile phones when setting or resetting
    > security features" though they couldn't tell me where to find a doc on
    > this.
    >
    > My original take on this issue was merely that the key press records are
    > a hell of a load more sensitive than people believe.

    "I don't intend to offend, I offend with my intent"

    hellNbakat_private
    http://www.nmrc.org/~hellnbak