Re: wireless woes in the triangle and beyond!

From: Paul Cardon (paulat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 11:53:46 PDT

    Mark Rowe wrote:
    > From memory it was an APACS systems that used a wireless X.25 network
    > (Paknet). From what I could see the application sent all the card data
    > in the clear to the radio PAD (modem). Unfortunately this was deemed out
    > of scope of the review and it was just raised as an area for further
    > investigation. I never had chance to investigate this further :(

    Does anybody know which packet radio protocol the Paknet PADs use?  I'm
    wondering if it is AX.25 which is the Amateur Packet Radio Link Access
    Protocol.  Linux has native AX.25 support so with the right receiver it
    is easily captured and I'm not aware of any built-in encryption
    capability.  Just ran across this myself with an RS-232 tranceiver that
    uses AX.25 for wireless transmission.

    A fascinating link related to APACS and Paknet can be found at:

    http://www.x25us.net/x25/X25/x25_vuln.txt

    -paul