Re: Another cgiemail bug

From: Christopher X. Candreva (chrisat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 14 2002 - 08:30:44 PDT

    On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, sec wrote:

    > Example:
    > POST
    >
    > /cgi-bin/cgiemail?required-webmaster=xxxat_private&required-from=zzzat_private&
    > required-subject=spam%0aCC:address1at_private%20address2at_private%20address3at_private&
    > comments=spam%20message
    >
    > Simple, clear enough.

    Not really. Your example is going to do nothing but generate an error, at
    least under cgi-email 1.6 .

    First, cgiemail requires a textfile template on the server itself as part
    of the URL to run the script For example (from the cgiemail home page,
    cgiecho is the test program):

    <FORM METHOD="POST"
     ACTION="http://web.mit.edu/bin/cgiecho/wwwdev/cgiemail/questions3.txt">

    In this case it's using a template file on the server in the directory
    wwwdev/cgiemail called questions3.txt
    Without such a file it generates an error. There is no template refereced in
    your example above, so the options are never even parsed (or possiby it
    attmpts to open it as a file on the local system, which still won't work).

    In the specific case where there is an e-mail template on the server that
    takes a field called required-subject and uses it in the Subject: line, then
    your exploit may work in theory, though you would have to know the location
    of this file and add it to your example.

    Yes, the location of the template will be in any forms that use it. However,
    the only way to determine if any fields are actually sent in the testing
    each form to see if the template is retriveable via the web, or what fields
    will be in the headers of a generated e-mail seems to me to be non-trival,
    though not to say it can't be done.

    While this should probably be fixed, this is not going to be immediately
    exploitable on every cgiemail binary.

    Chris Candreva  -- chrisat_private -- (914) 967-7816
    http://www.westnet.com/