Re: Java and buffer overflows

From: Felix Harris (felixat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 24 2002 - 10:43:01 PDT

    > I was wondering if code written in JAVA(or .NET) is vulnerable to buffer overflows.
    > If yes,what are the differences in the proccess of exploiting?
    > Any online source?

    well afaik one of the main reasons for creating Java was to make it
    a safe language, as there is no complications between pointers
    and buffers. Buffers are also lengthchecked, and pointers dont
    really have the required scope to be exploited. If there was an
    exploit for a java program, it would probably exist as a bug in the
    virtual machine, or in a call to a c/c++ program/library. IIRC, there
    was something about zlib being exploitable?
    --
    Felix Harris
    felixat_private