Re: spying (deleted) file entries in other users' directories

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Tue Jun 25 2002 - 07:47:11 PDT

    On Mon, 24 Jun 2002 11:47:16 +0200, "D.C. van Moolenbroek" said:

    > Note that on my system, reading doesn't work on /tmp ("input error: Invalid
    > argument"); it seems to work on all other directories though. Generally I
    > suppose it's a bad idea to put something sensitive in a filename, but what
    > do the other bytes represent, that show up in the hexdump?

    Presumably, they are the inode number - remember that a directory is just
    a list of (name)(inode number) pairs (overlooking things like ReiserFS or
    IBM's JFS2 that doen't store directories as a linear list but as a btree or
    other structure - in those cases the other bytes may be directory metadata).
    --
    				Valdis Kletnieks
    				Computer Systems Senior Engineer