Re: Possible flaw in XFree?

From: Vanja Hrustic (vanjaat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 28 2002 - 09:24:45 PDT

    On Thu, 27 Jun 2002 16:06:55 -0300
    "William N. Zanatta" <williamat_private> wrote:

    > Hi folks,
    >
    >    Talking about some bad experiences with my friend, I discovered (he
    > told me) it is possible to abort a X session even when the screen is
    > locked by some kind of application like 'xlock'.
    >
    >    I have made the following test:
    >
    >    1. Logged into the system as 'william' (a normal non-privileged
    >    user). 2. startx
    >    3. Run xlock
    >    ... the screen is now locked...
    >    4. Tried a hit on some keys. The password screen appears.
    >    5. Then, 'ctrl-alt-backspace' and voila... X is down and my console
    > is there, opened for me.

    This is very old issue.

    You don't even need to kill the X session. Just use CTRL+ALT+F[1-6] (at
    least on Linux) to switch back to the console. If you get back to the
    console from which X was started, just kill it with CTRL+C.

    Never start X from your shell with 'startx' only. Use XDM/KDM/GSM or some
    other display manager.

    If you have to use startx, do something like:

    "startx & exit"

    Now, if X is killed with CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE (or user switched back to
    console) , it'll welcome you with the login prompt.

    Vanja

     Politicians are people who, when they see the light at the end of the
     tunnel, go out and buy more tunnel. - John Quinton