Re: Ports 0-1023?

From: David Schwartz (davidsat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 08:55:03 PDT

    On Thu, 04 Jul 2002 00:05:16 -0700, Blue Boar wrote:
    >Is there any point in needing to be root in order to allocate the low ports
    >on unix-like systems, anymore?  Could we get away from having to have some
    >daemons even have a root stub in order to listen on a low port?  What would
    >break, and what new holes would be created?  Could some sort of port ACL
    >simply be used that says a particular UID can allocate a particular range
    >of ports?
    >
    >Discuss.

    	Imagine if inetd crashes or someone finds a way to crash it. They then set
    up their own telnet daemon on port 23 and capture passwords. Not good.

    	I'm safe, you say, because I don't use telnet, I only use secure login tools
    like ssh. You're dreaming, I say, a trojaned ssh could do just as much damage
    even though it can't acquire the password since it can do a chown/chmod+s.

    	This sounds like a very bad idea to me.

    	DS