Re: Ports 0-1023?

From: Michal Zalewski (lcamtufat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 07:46:52 PDT

    On Thu, 4 Jul 2002, Blue Boar wrote:

    > Is there any point in needing to be root in order to allocate the low ports
    > on unix-like systems, anymore?

    As long as you keep the old privilege model, of course. You don't want
    your users to bind port 25 when Sendmail goes down for a short while
    (actually, you can induce it pretty easily in certain configurations).

    > Could some sort of port ACL simply be used that says a particular UID
    > can allocate a particular range of ports?

    It would be desired for all Unix systems to have an extensive ACL system
    enabled by default (not something like Linux capabilities), but I doubt
    it'll happen any time soon.

    Michal Zalewski [lcamtufat_private] [security]
    [http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx] <=-=> bash$ :(){ :|:&};:
    =-=> Did you know that clones never use mirrors? <=-=
              http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/photo/