Re: Ports 0-1023?

From: Dave Aitel (daveat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 05:31:09 PDT

    On Thu, 2002-07-04 at 03:05, Blue Boar wrote:
    > Is there any point in needing to be root in order to allocate the low ports
    > on unix-like systems, anymore?  Could we get away from having to have some
    > daemons even have a root stub in order to listen on a low port?  What would
    > break, and what new holes would be created?  Could some sort of port ACL
    > simply be used that says a particular UID can allocate a particular range
    > of ports?
    >
    > Discuss.
    >
    > 							BB

    I think rsh would break, along with everything else that makes access
    control decisions based on this feature. Realistically, every OS has
    always had a local exploit for its entire history. Local access
    protections keep honest people honest, and do very little else. Why not
    just run every process as root and get rid of all the other pesky
    conventions?

    The more you get into ACLs, the more you move to an NT-style "everything
    is complicated" permissions system. This increases complexity and
    demonstrably decreases overall security (how many services don't run as
    SYSTEM these days? Any?).

    Dave Aitel
    Immunity, Inc
    Download BodyGuard, stop being owned: