Re: Google lists vulnerable sites.

From: Charles 'core' Stevenson (coreat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 05 2002 - 23:21:30 PDT

    I don't mean to sound redundant but yes search engines have been used by
    hackers since their inception to passively obtain information about
    vulnerable servers. When combined with resources like alldas.org's nmap
    and banner results of previously hacked websites, netcraft.com's "What's
    that site running", archived mailing lists (for those lovely mail server
    version strings), etc. one might find that very little active scanning
    is required to validate the profile obtained from passive sources.
    Passive sources allow an attacker to choose victims without being
    detected however the issue is really that the victim was vulnerable. Not
    that the vulnerable state was exposed by a passive source.

    peace,
    core