Re: Ports 0-1023?

From: Robert Bihlmeyer (robbeat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 08 2002 - 02:41:58 PDT

    	<3D251B54.50205at_private>
    <20020705040920.GS26023at_private>
    --text follows this line--
    Brian Hatch <vuln-devat_private> writes:

    > You'd only really need one suid program to do this if you write it
    > to read a config file, ala
    >
    >	$ cat uid-granter.conf
    >	# invoking-program   expected-user   suid-to, ...
    >
    >	/usr/sbin/sshd       sshd            *

    What's the point in stripping root from sshd if it is able to run a
    shell as any user (including root)?

    You could restrict root logins and put !root there. You'd at least
    have to take a route over an admin account.

    >	/usr/sbin/imapd      imapd           !root,*

    What does imapd need this kind of privilege for? Ensuring that mail
    spools exist and are writable by imapd should be enough, no?

    > I think that authentication (PAM) should be very separate from
    > any uid-granting executable.  And really, I can't see a way
    > to make it work all in PAM anyway.

    The benefit of putting both in one place is that you could have one
    trusted (hopfully well-audited) component, that hands out uids (or any
    privilege, really) if you provide them with the proper authentication
    token (password, answer to RSA challange, etc.)

    The Hurd's password server is such a service. Give it joe's password,
    and it gives you joe's uid. You can have su or telnetd with no special
    privilege this way.

    > Getting that change to a standard kernel is not likely,
    > unfortunately.

    As someone already mentioned, there is a maze of twisty little
    solutions, all different. A more widely accepted standard is some
    years off (at least).

    --
    Robbe