Re: Plain text password for Microsoft (icwip.dun)

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 14:56:43 PDT

    On Tue, 09 Jul 2002 16:57:33 EDT, hellNbak said:

    > Palladium isn't going to solve security issues like cleartext passwords.

    Correct.

    > Palladium is simply going to prevent copyright abuse and take the control
    > of your own systems away from you.

    It will prevent copyright abuse until broken.  How long does the average
    anti-piracy scheme last?  And remember - you deploy this one, you're STUCK
    with it because there's hardware involved.

    >                                    The security issues are still going to
    > exist, they are just going to be difficult to exploit from Palladium
    > compliant boxen...........

    All it takes is one good buffer overflow.  Like we haven't seen security bugs
    in trusted, signed ActiveX controls and the like before.  I've seen almost
    nothing that says that *exploits* will be any more difficult to carry out.
    --
    				Valdis Kletnieks
    				Computer Systems Senior Engineer